In the Boy Scouts of America, adult training starts with Youth Protection. Youth Protection Training (YPT) is required for all registered adult volunteers. It is highly recommended that all parents and adults involved with Scouting take the training so everyone understands the policies and avoids confusion. You do not need to be a registered adult volunteer to take the training.
Taking YPT Online
Anyone can take YPT with an Internet-connected computer. The training takes 30 minutes or less to complete following these steps:
- Go to my.scouting.org.
- Sign in if you already have an account, or create an account if you don't already have one.
- Click the "Menu" button at the top-left corner of the window.
- Choose the “My Dashboard” button from the drop down list.
- Make sure "My Training" is selected in the menu/button just below "My Dashboard".
- Click the "YPT" tab just below the "my.Scouting" title.
- Click the "Take Course" or "Retake Course" link as desired.
In the Chief Seattle Council and Alpine District, adult volunteers must complete YPT on an annual basis to be rechartered with the district and/or Unit (Pack, Troop, Team, Crew, Post). Your completion date has to be after the end of the year previous calendar year at the time of recharter. If an adult volunteer's YPT record is not current at the time of recharter, the volunteer will not be re-registered, and a new application and YPT certificate will need to be completed and submitted.