Eagle Scout Rank Overview
After a scout has completed a Board of Review for the Life rank, he or she may work on the requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout. These six requirements must be completed before the scout’s 18th birthday**:
- Be active in your troop, team, crew, or ship for at least six months as a Life Scout.
- Demonstrate that you live by the principles of the Scout Oath and Law by providing the names of 5-6 individuals who are willing to provide a recommendation on your behalf.
- Earn a total of 21 merit badges (13 required badges and 8 elective badges). As a Life scout you should already have completed at least 7 Eagle-required merit badges and 4 elective merit badges.
- While a Life scout, serve actively in your unit for a total of 6 months in one or more of the Positions of Responsibility listed in the Scouting BSA Handbook.
- While a Life scout, plan, develop and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. You must use the latest version of the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook to develop your proposal and you must have the proposal approved by your unit leader, unit committee chair and beneficiary before submitting the proposal for approval by the district representative. DO NOT SCHEDULE OR BEGIN WORK ON YOUR PROJECT UNTIL YOU HAVE FINAL DISTRICT APPROVAL.
- While a Life Scout, participate in a unit leader conference.
**Effective 2/1/19, youth who are at least 16 years old but not yet 18 years old who register as members of Scouts BSA on or before 12/31/19 may request an extension to complete the Eagle Scout Rank requirements after they turn 18 years of age.
Once these six requirements have been completed, you may submit your Eagle Scout Rank Application to the Council Service Center for verification. After the information in your Eagle Scout Rank Application has been verified, it will be forwarded to the Lake Shores District Eagle Board of Review Coordinator who will collect your Statement of Ambitions and Life Purpose and any recommendation letters submitted. You will then be contacted by email to schedule your Eagle Board of Review.