The Chair’s Minute – October 2022
“It is easy to make a buck. It is a lot harder to make a difference.” – Tom Brokaw
Take this quiz:
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name baseball’s last 5 most valuable players.
- Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel Prize.
- Name the last 6 Academy Award winners for best actor.
- Name the last 10 Super Bowl winners.
How did you do? Not too well? The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But when the applause dies, their achievements are soon forgotten.
Now here is another quiz. See how you do on this one.
- List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
- Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
- Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.
Easier? Of course! The lesson?
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
In Scouting we are all able to make a difference in the lives of the young people we are privileged to serve. How much do you care about making a difference?