Coin Collecting Merit Badge Workshop – Jan 21st 2023 in Kent
525 4th Avenue North, Kent, WA
Saturday, January 21st, 2023, 12:30 pm
(Check-in at least 15 minutes before workshop, we will finish about 3:30 pm)
• Learn about this fun and fascinating hobby
• Earn the Coin Collecting Merit Badge
• Space is limited. Pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
• Free admission to workshop and coin show.
• Free coins courtesy of some generous donors.
BEFORE THE WORKSHOP …
1. Be familiar with the “Coin Collecting” merit badge pamphlet. At the workshop, Scouts will review the requirements.
2. Collect and bring five different grade examples of the same coin type (Requirement 3).
3. Collect and bring five different state quarters you have acquired from circulation (Requirement 6). The dates do not have to be the same.
4. Collect a type set of U.S. coins currently in circulation (Requirement 7). This type set must include one specimen each of the 1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents, 50 cents and dollar (Available at the coin show by doing the YN treasure hunt).
5. Collect and bring a date set of U.S. coins (Requirement 9d) or one of the other collections for Requirement 9. The set for Requirement 9d can be of any one denomination (1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents or 25 cents) and must include one (1) coin of every year, from the year the Scout was born through 2018. Any mint is acceptable for 9d. All coins must be of the same denomination for 9d.
AT THE WORKSHOP …
Everyone will learn a lot about collecting U.S. coins. Scouts will complete other requirements during the workshop. Scouts that come prepared (per “before the workshop” above) will complete all requirements and finish their blue cards, others will leave with a partial and can finish later. Parents and adult leaders are welcome and encouraged to attend. Check-in begins 30 minutes before the workshop; please arrive early enough to check-in at least 15
minutes early. We encourage you to allow ample time before or after the workshop to explore the coin show. The coin show is open 10am – 5pm on Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm).
The workshop is held at the back next to the YN table. Note: there is a treasure hunt open to all kids. Details at the YN table.
Please provide Scouts with signed Merit Badge Cards and ask them to complete all personal information (name, address, etc.). Certified Merit Badge Counselor(s) will be leading the workshop and will sign the cards upon completion of the requirements. Remind your Scouts to bring note pads and pencils, and their completed type and date sets of coins. Remind Scouts to wear their uniforms. Scoutmasters should provide a copy of this flyer to Scouts planning to attend the workshop so they can be prepared.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUESTED …
To help us plan, please e-mail Anthony Kalt at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with Troop number, Scout name(s), and approximate rank of scout(s). Anthony is a registered merit badge counselor.
PARKING OPTIONS …
The Kent Commons offers parking and more is available in the (free) parking garage adjacent for the RJC, but please allow a little time to find a spot, check in and get settled.
Held in conjunction with the Boeing Employees Coin Show 59th Annual Coin Show.
Scouts and adults are welcome to bring coins, questions and their curiosity with them and tap into the immense expertise that will be present at this event.