We had such a great response to the 2020 course (that was cancelled due to COVID), that when we started planning for a 2021 course we decided to add a second course alongside it to accommodate the demand! The 2021 Powder Horn course we are planning will also be bigger and better than the one planned for 2020! We are adding more days and program elements! It will be held at two camps now in two different councils: Chief Seattle’s Camp Pigott and Cascade Pacific’s Camp Baldwin, near Mt Hood Oregon. This enables us to take part in some unique and really cool program elements that we could not have done before! One course will start in the north, one will start in the south. At the halfway point of the course, they will swap camps to finish up. This new course will also cost a little more since we are expanding it, but we think it will be well worth it!
Here are some of the program elements we are looking at!
- Shooting sports (rifle, shotgun, black powder, archery, maybe something “big” and/or another surprise or two!)
- COPE course (high and low)
- Waterfront (canoe, kayak, standup paddleboard, small boat sailing, SCUBA, snorkeling)
- Whitewater rafting (on the Deschutes River!)
- Windsurfing (on the Columbia River, Hood River area)
- Cave exploring!
- Rock climbing and rappelling – on real rock!
- Mountain biking
- Mountain boarding
- Mountaineering (Palmer Glacier on Mt Hood, Timberline chairlift to get there!)
- Winter camping
- Long-term lightweight backpacking
- Expedition planning
- Dutch Oven cooking
- And others!
FLYER! To get a feel for what a Powder Horn course is all about, HERE is the flyer for the 2021 courses!
Two 3-day Weekends: $300
- Course Director: Bret Buck, Pacific Harbors Council
- Weekend #1: August 20-22, 2021 (Friday – Sunday)
- Held at Cascade Pacific Council’s high adventure base – Camp Baldwin (overnight at Aubrey-Watzek Lodge)
- Weekend #2: August 27-29, 2021 (Friday – Sunday)
- Held at Chief Seattle Council’s Camp Pigott (overnight at Camp Edward)
- REGISTER for the Two 3-day Weekend Course
Week-Long Course: $325
- Course Director: Dale Rae, Chief Seattle Council
- August 22 – 28, 2021 (Sunday – Saturday)
- Starts at Chief Seattle Council’s Camp Pigott for three days (overnight at Camp Edward)
- Begin transition to other camp on third afternoon (Tuesday)
- One night at Chief Seattle Council’s Camp Sheppard near Mt Rainier (week-long course only)
- Caving near Mt St Helens or windsurfing on Columbia River (Wednesday, week-long course only)
- Finish up with three days at Cascade Pacific Council’s high adventure base – Camp Baldwin (overnight at Aubrey-Watzek Lodge)
- REGISTER for the Week-Long Course
What is Powder Horn?
The Powder Horn course is designed to help the unit by introducing youth and adult Scouting leaders to safely conducted outdoor/high-adventure activities of a fun and challenging nature. The course provides an introduction to the resources needed to successfully lead youth through a program of outdoor adventure and is based upon giving participants an exposure to some outdoor/high-adventure activities. It is not a certification event. It is for any youth (14 years by course date) or adult interested in experiencing a unit-level, high-adventure program. The purpose of a Powder Horn course includes:
- Safe participation in fun and challenging outdoor activities.
- An introduction to resources, including expert local consultants, that can improve a unit’s program.
- Exposure to new and exciting high-adventure activities.
- Help in delivering the BSA promise at the unit level.
- Promoting youths’ and adults’ creativity when delivering high-adventure programs.
Want a taste of what Powder Horn is like?
Check out our course video from 2017! It is on our Chief Seattle Council Powder Horn Facebook page. Come join the conversation! https://www.facebook.com/cscpowderhorn/
- The fee for the courses
- Two 3-day weekends course (6 days): $300
- Week-long course (7 days): $325
- You may pay the entire fee at the time you register, OR
- You may pay a $100 deposit when you sign up (not refundable) and pay the balance by May 1, 2021.
- Refund Policy: the Chief Seattle Council has been preparing information about our COVID mitigations plans for the coming year. Below is a link to the latest COVID FAQs, which will be regularly updated on our website, www.seattlebsa.org. Please be assured CSC is working to provide a safe and fun environment at our camp facilities and will update our mitigation protocols if situations develop. https://www.seattlebsa.org/camping/summer2021